Saturday, September 30, 2023
Home > Counties > Homa Bay gov’t embarks on human resource audit

Homa Bay gov’t embarks on human resource audit

Homa Bay County government has embarked on a human resource audit to weed out ghost workers.

Speaking Monday during the swearing in of the new County Secretary Prof Bernard Muok in her office, Governor Gladys Wanga said that Human resource audit will allow the county to establish the number of workers at the county, verify the work they do and the departments they work in.

“We want to make sure that the people that we are paying are people who are alive and can be seen doing the work that they have been paid to do,” said Wanga.

The Governor said consulting firm Price Waterhouse Coopers had been engaged to undertake the exercise and urged all staff to cooperate during the audit. She said that the exercise was not meant to victimise anybody but to ensure that the county has a lean and good team that will serve better.

“This exercise is to make sure that the staff that are serving the county are well rewarded and those who are reaping where they did not sow are dealt with accordingly,” said the Governor.

The county boss said that the exercises will enable the county to allocate more money for the development funds as opposed to the prevailing situation where a larger percentage is used for wage bills and recurrent expenses.

“Our wage bill is now at 53 percent together with the recurrent expenses we are at 75 percent, leaves only 25 percent for development which is unacceptable,” she said.

She further said that the exercise was being carried out by a reputable firm that will ensure that the process will be fair and corruption free. The exercise is set to be finalised in a months’ time.

The Governor urged the boda boda riders to ensure that they pay their taxes which was 10 shillings per day amounting to 300 shillings per month. She said that the taxes will enable the government roll out a Sh5 million boda boda riders revolving fund to benefit all the wards.

The governor said that they will start by allocating Sh1 million and it will only be accessible to those who are paying taxes.

Wanga further urged the public to participate and give their views on the County Integrated Development Plan (CIDP) and ensure that all proposed projects were captured.

The Governor said it was regrettable that some county staff had been apprehended over the weekend for allegedly diverting medical supplies. She warned that those involved in such malpractices will be dealt with accordingly.

“We will not relent in securing public resources for the benefit of our people, those perpetrating graft must face the full force of the law,” Wanga said.

By Otieno Angela and Langat Davis


Leave a Reply