Thursday, August 6, 2020
Home > Counties > Bungoma > Kenya Power employee electrocuted

Kenya Power employee electrocuted

A Webuye based employee of the Kenya Power Company was last Wednesday electrocuted as he attempted to fix a problem atop a pole at Mbakalo area, Tongaren constituency in Bungoma North.

Kenya Power Company employees at work

Richard Kilonzo Mutua, 33, from Machakos County was stationed at Webuye KP branch office.

On the fateful day, he was with a colleague doing routine electric lines checkups in Bungoma North before meeting his death.

Confirming the incident, Bungoma North police commander Stephen Muoni said they are treating the death as an accident. He however said investigations had been launched.

“The two officers were on normal duties checking out electric lines when the accident happened and we had to bring our police officers who pulled him down the pole and took him to Webuye county hospital morgue,” he said.

Ken Simiyu a resident of Tongaren said that the incident was very frightening and urged the company employees to be more careful when handling power equipment.

“This is the first such incident in this area. It is unfortunate to lose an employee in this manner,” he said.

By Roseland Lumwamu

Leave a Reply