Some 90 scouts in Narok County have been selected to join Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) out of 4,263 people who had been shortlisted for the recruitment exercise.
Addressing journalists during the recruitment exercise held at William Ole Ntimama stadium Tuesday, the KWS officer in charge Dr. Francis Lesilau said those recruited will be placed on a six-month engagement.
“The terms of service will be renewed after six months based on the conduct of the individual person. Those who will have performed well will have their contract extended for another six months,” he said.
He confirmed that the exercise follows a presidential address on March 2020 where he launched the program to cushion youth from the effects of Covid-19.
The recruitment was advertised in October last year from the seventh presidential address of March 23rd 2020 when he launched the program to cushion youths from the effects of covid-19.
“The advert was placed in October last year. We received an overwhelming response as 4,263 people were shortlisted for the exercise,” said Dr. Lesilau.
He disclosed that the applicants had to have a minimum qualification of standard eight certificate and must be between the ages of 18 and 35 years.
The recruiting officer noted that the ratio was to be 70% male and 30 % female and the successful applicants must hail from Narok County.
“The duties of the selected individuals will be to report on the movement of animals within their local villages, liaise with officers from KWS and give them reports, repair damaged fences in the game reserves, enlightening the villagers on the importance of animals and cleaning the parks,” added Dr. Lesilau.
But one of the residents Lawrence Nkurumua wondered why very many people were shortlisted for only a few slots.
He also lamented that many youths were blocked after details in their IDs failed to match with those contained in a list issued by KWS.
by Ann Salaton/ Peter Kyeti