The national government plans to revive a stalled housing project in Wote town following a presidential directive that all uncompleted projects should be completed.
Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) for Transport, Infrastructure, Housing, Urban Development and Public Works Wavinya Ndeti said plans are underway to have the project completed as a way of achieving the government’s big four agenda on affordable housing.
‘‘Negotiations are ongoing on whether to sell the houses to civil servants in their current condition at a subsidized cost or have the government complete the housing units for sale or lease to workers,’’ said Ms. Ndeti.
Speaking on Thursday when she inspected the project, the CAS expressed her concern on the condition of the houses due to vandalism and said a solution would soon be found.
The Sh. 2 billion project with 203 units was started in 1989 but stalled leading to vandalism.
Housing and Urban Development Principal Secretary toured the project last year in November and promised to have the houses completed through a public-private partnership.
By Roselyne Kavoo