Mombasa County has recorded 99 percent transition to secondary school, with missing details of only less than 200 candidates who sat for KCPE last year.
The county had a total of 18,790 candidates out of which 199 of them have not reported to any secondary school or technical training institutions, since their results have not been collected or their families traced, thus leaving little choice for follow-ups despite unrelenting government efforts.
The County Director of Education (CDE), Moses Makori while briefing members of the County Development Implementation Coordination Committee (CDICC) on Monday, said the region had seen improved transition for students to secondary schools ahead of this month’s reporting deadline extended by President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Area Deputy County Commissioner (DCC), Charles Monari while chairing the meeting, attributed this remarkable success to continued cooperation between school head teachers, chiefs and their assistants, in a move aimed at ensuring the government’s 100 percent target is achieved.
Monari noted that areas affected by the missing figures included Changamwe, Kisauni and Jomvu, adding that every effort will be made to have all children enroll for secondary education.
The DCC commended efforts by school principals to retain students who had been sent home earlier for school fees balances, lack of uniform or other related issues, noting the government will ensure all emerging issues are handled amicably.
However, the Kisauni Deputy County Commissioner (DCC), Jamleck Mutembei said his team was following on a lead where two candidates were reportedly living as husband and wife in Mtwapa town.
He said the two will be rescued and rehabilitated before being sent to school, adding that only 13 pupils remain unaccounted for in Kisauni from last year’s KCPE candidates.
However, the DCC said they are working round the clock to get their details and ascertain if they might have gone upcountry after completing their primary education or otherwise.
By Joseph Kamolo