Thursday, May 30, 2024
Home > Counties > Namwamba confident of a successful World Rally Championship

Namwamba confident of a successful World Rally Championship

Kenya is set to host the World Rally Championship (WRC) 2024, that will commence, March 28th to 31st this year.

Cabinet Secretary for Youth Affairs, Sports and Arts, Ababu Namwamba, who kicked-off the countdown to the World Rally Championship (WRC) 2024, today, at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre grounds in Nairobi, expressed confidence that Kenya  will deliver a successful, fun filled and safe event.

The CS announced that the WRC Safari Rally will be flagged-off by President William Ruto at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre, and after flag off the motorcade will proceed to Kasarani National stadium for a short exhibition and afterwards, they will go to Service Park hotel in Naivasha for the main event.

He said the event will then be closed off at the Hells Gate, where the rally is set to end.

“We are now third in the series after rally Monte Carlo that opens and Rally Sweden, which is second in the rally log,” said Namwamba.

Namwamba noted after a thorough meeting with the stakeholders responsible for planning the 2024 Edition of the World Rally Championship, he takes pride for successfully returning the Safari Rally from June to its traditional timing around the Easter season celebrations.

“The Safari Rally had been in the shadows of the WRC calendar close to 19 years, but  we have now managed to sprout it  back,” The CS said and added “The rally being one of the 13 round and the only round on African soil, brings the country much pride and honor as  the host”.

He  applauded the County Governor of Nakuru County, Susan Kihika and her team for the support in give in organizing the rally, noting that the event has availed opportunities to the youth to generate income through social economic activities, by providing services, trade and content creation.

The WRC Safari Rally Chief Executive Officer, Charles Gacheru, who accompanied Mr Namwamba to the event, reassured Kenyans that the pictures he had seen circulating online of big gulley’s forming on the rally route had been taken care of.

“I have seen pictures circulating of very big gullies at Hells Gate and Geothermal. This is normal as it is only the loose soil getting washed away by the floods. We engaged the National Youth Service and they have done a great job for us there,” he stated.

Mr Gacheru also informed members of the press that all accreditation of marshalls, media staff and rally staff was ongoing on an online platform called Eventos, provided and certified by the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile.

“Media and security personnel who want to participate in the Safari rally must be accredited by the Eventos online platform. You have to upload a picture and be accredited by a national press officer.”

All members of the public who wish to join us in the rally must review the spectator guide online at www.safarirally.ae for more information, he added.

In his remarks, Mr. Stephen Etyang, the Assistant Inspector General from the Inspector General’s office, assured WRC fans that all security agencies had been involved to ensure a successful event.

He urged all Kenyans to strictly adhere to traffic regulations as this event will take place during the festive season when accidents are rampant, and warned  bus and lorry drivers against parking along the Naivasha road and in particular,   Kikopey area.

Mrs Patricia Mutheu representing the Matatu industry promised her sector’s full support noting that they will adhere to all government directives while working hand in hand with the authorities for a successful safari rally.

By Billy Sabari and Job Muchiri

 

Leave a Reply