Friday, September 30, 2022
Home > covid 19 > Narok puts 42 under quarantine in invigorated Covid-19 war

Narok puts 42 under quarantine in invigorated Covid-19 war

Forty two persons who had come into contact with persons confirmed to have tested Covid-19 positive have been put under mandatory isolation in Narok County.

The  Narok Governor, Samuel Tunai said the 42 were in various health centers in the county where they would be monitored for 14 days before they were released back to the community if they test negative of the deadly virus.

He spoke yesterday during a press briefing at the County headquarters after holding a meeting with the County Emergency and Response team that he co-chairs with County Commissioner Samuel Kimiti and the county executive members.

“Narok North Sub County has 14 persons in isolation, Trans Mara West 12, Narok West has seven people, Narok South has two, Trans Mara East Sub County has four and Narok East Sub County has one person quarantined,” explained Tunai.

In a bid to combat a possibility of the virus in the county, Governor Tunai announced that the medical personnel would be screening all persons entering the county from all corners.

“We have erected road blocks at Suswa area to screen all those coming from the Maai Mahiu area, Mulot center to screen those entering the county from Bomet County and Mwisho wa Lami centre to screen those coming from Nakuru county,” said Tunai.

At the same time, the county boss announced the reopening of major open air markets but warned the traders to strictly adhere to the laid down regulations to avoid a possibility of Covid -19 spread.

“The traders must wash their hands, keep the recommended social distance and cover their faces with a mask while in the market. Failure to observe these rules will automatically lead to the closure of the market,” said Tunai.

Tunai said the over 20 markets around the county were being fumigated on a weekly basis to avoid a possibility of food shortage in the county.

On Maasai Mara Game reserve, Tunai reiterated that despite many camps having been closed due to lack of tourists, the game rangers were vigilant to ensure the animals were safe.

“I want this to be very clear; that we do not preserve the Maasai Mara Game reserve for tourists alone, the Mara is our heritage that we guard passionately with or without visitors,” said Tunai.

The governor who also doubles as the chair of Tourism committee in the Council of Governors said the country received over two million tourists last year generating over Sh.200 billion.

However, things are different this year following the outbreak of Covid-19 virus that has led to cancellation of foreign travels in the world.

Kimiti said only vehicles with a capacity to carry a lot of food stuff would be licensed to go to Nairobi.

“We will not give a license to the probox and other small vehicles to carry goods to Nairobi because they do not have a capacity to carry many bags. The vehicles to be allowed are small lorries that can carry many bags of food stuff,” said Kimiti.

He welcomed all well-wishers to give donations to the less fortunate persons in the county but asked them to do so through his office or that of the governor.

By  Ann  Salaton

Leave a Reply