All Narok County residents have been put on high alert after one case of Covid-19 was reported in a school in Narok North sub-county.
Speaking to KNA, Narok County Public Health Officer Mr Edward Oludaru Tankoi said the health personnel were now working with education officials, school head teachers and principals in ensuring all children were safe.
He said that the county has reported 646 cases of Covid-19 positive cases as at Wednesday, May 12, this year. He observed that during testing, some people have been giving false information making contact tracing hard.
Tankoi lamented that they could not trace 35 people who had been in contact with infected people due to misleading information from those being tested. “We appeal to those being tested to give correct information on those they had come into contact with to enable us win this war,” he urged.
The county public health officer said the county had so far lost 29 people to the Novel Coronavirus including a member of the County Executive Committee (CEC) with the fatality rate from the disease at 4.4 per cent. He said no Covid-19 death had been reported among local medics to date.
Meanwhile some 6,450 people in Narok County have been vaccinated against Covid- 19 pandemic since the beginning of the exercise early two months ago.
Mr Tankoi said among priority groups, 996 health workers, 882 security personnel and 794 teachers have received the first jab of vaccination. “A further 3,449 people belonging to the other groups which the government has decided to also give priority in this exercise, such as those above 58 years of age and those living with various health conditions that make them susceptible to Covid-19 complications have also received their first jab,” he added.
He said although many people were turning up to be vaccinated, the vaccines were running out and expressed hope that they will be able to get replenishment soon. The county received 9,000 doses of Coronavirus vaccine of which more than 6,000 have already been used.
By Mabel Keya – Shikuku