Nigerian to Serve 25 years Jail Term for  manslaughter

Counties Editor's Pick Kiambu News

A Nigerian Businessman who had been charged with the murder of a fellow countryman in Ruaka location will now serve 25 years imprisonment after a Kiambu court found him guilty of manslaughter.

33 year old  James Akam was convicted of a lesser charge of manslaughter after he entered a plea bargain with the court where he was charged with the murder of  Adeoye Adonyi Femi on 18th September 2017.

The convict was initially charged with murder to which he pleaded not guilty. He later entered a plea bargain under section 202 as read with 205 of the penal code.

Kiambu High court Judge Lady Justice Christine Meoli while sentencing the accused cautioned that Akam could not benefit from a non-custodial sentence, owing to the seriousness of the offence.

For the prosecution Ms.Viola Muthoni told the court that on the material day, the accused person had a disagreement involving money with the deceased.

The court heard that the duo resided in the same apartment in Ruaka namely Big C where the body was found lying outside the said apartment.

While narrating facts of the case, the prosecutor stated that the alleged stabbing took place in a motor vehicle registration No KCD 387X Mazda Demio belonging to Samuel Badejo a resident of Wallace Apartment in Ruaka where the deceased had gone to request him to reconcile them.

The accused stabbed the deceased with a kitchen knife and he suffered stab wounds on the left of his chest, left fore and upper arms. According to a post mortem report, Ms Muthoni said was chest injuries due to penetrating due to sharp form trauma (stab). The murder weapon was also recovered.

She added that the deceased was rushed to St.Peter’ medical centre where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The body was placed back into the car and driven back to big C Apartments which was the scene of crime.

The scene was consequently documented by the scenes of crime personnel before the body was escorted to Kihara sub-county hospital mortuary for preservation.

The accused was arrested a day after the offence by officers from Karuri police station who sought to be allowed 14 days to enable him complete his investigations.

Through a miscellaneous application no 232 of 2017 Paul Okinda told Kiambu court that he intended to record statements, process the accused by escorting him for mental examination prior to charging him with the offence. The application was granted and during investigations, the Nigerian High commission was notified. There was further communication between the police and the deceased’s family in Nigeria.


By Lydia Shiloya

Leave a Reply