The government in the last 24 hours have tested a total of 508 samples from 14 Counties.
Out of this number 10 have tested positive for coronavirus, nine of which are from Mombasa and one from Nairobi.
This brings to 384 the total number of positive cases in the country
Giving an update of Coronavirus situation in the Country on Wednesday, the Health Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS), Dr. Mercy Mwangangi said the number of recoveries keeps rising day by day. Which is a good sign.
”Today, we have discharged additional five patients. This brings to 129 the total number of recoveries’ ‘, she said.
The CAS noted that the Covid-19 situation continue to show a trend where more new positive cases are recorded in the two counties of Nairobi and Mombasa.
While this may be indicative of the disease being domiciled in these two counties, Dr. Mwangangi explained that from the number tested, 284 samples were from Nairobi, while 89 from Mombasa.
” All the nine cases in Mombasa were picked from among the communities by our disease surveillance teams”,, she said.
Each of the following areas deom Mombasa had one case; Old Town, Santana, Miritini, Bamburi, Mikindani, Kibokoni, Ganjoni, Memon and Tudor. The Nairobi case is from Kawangware.
As Government, we have continued to partner with Mombasa County on containment measures to curtail the spread of infection. We are organizing for additional surveillance and management support among other interventions to the County, Dr. Mwangangi said, urging all the residents to rededicate themselves to this fight.
Age distribution of today’s 10 cases are aged between 12 and 63 years, six are males and four are females.
The CAS announced that today tje country has lost one more patient bringing to 15 the total number of fatalities.
The Devolution and ASAL Cabinet Secretary (CS), Eugene Wamalwa said that through the Kenya Devolution Support Programme, they will be releasing Ksh. 4 billion to counties to go towards the coronavirus emergency response in building of capacity
On the issue of floods, rhe CS said the government will utilise schools to be able to create enough space for families already displaced by floods due to the ongoing heavy rainfall.
” As at yesterday 116 lives had been lost due to floods, with more than 100,000 households displaced. Twenty nine counties have so far been affected including Elgeyo Marakwet and West Pokot”, he said.
The government , Wamalwa added has released more than 40,000 bags of rice, and other food and non food items to go towards assisting those who had been affected by floods and mudslides.
“We want to assure Kenyans that we have enough food in the country and we will be able to support all those who have been displaced so that they are able to receive this support but even as we support them we want to be cautious so that we heed the ministry of health guidelines,” Wamalwa said.
By Wangari Ndirangu