Busia Governor Sospeter Ojaamong has reiterated that his government will not pay any striking health worker.
Ojaamong said this on Monday during a consultative meeting with doctors and pharmacists at the Busia County Referral Hospital, where he insisted that his administration has strived to address all grievances raised by the striking medical workers.
“Most of the pending issues are supposed to be handled by the national government including the formation of the Health Commission and risk allowances,” said Ojaamong.
“Despite looking into most issues, the striking health workers are insisting that they are in solidarity with their colleagues from other counties,” he said.
The governor disclosed that the county has dispatched a team of officers to the ground to monitor the situation in the health facilities and to establish how many health workers have resumed work following last week’s amnesty.
“We have already put our teams in every hospital to ensure they check after every four hours those who have reported on duty. It is not about reporting on duty but payment will be based on work done,” stated the governor noting that those who continued to ignore the appeal to return to work would be flushed out of the health institutions.
Other county officials present during the meeting included County Public Service Board chairperson Assumpta Obore, Chief Officers Isaac Omeri (Medical Services), Clementina Omoto (Public Service and Administration), Directors Janerose Ambuchi (Medical Services) and
David Mukabi (Universal Health Coverage).
By Melechezedeck Ejakait