Saturday, November 27, 2021
Home > Counties > Residents ordered to vacate flooded estate

Residents ordered to vacate flooded estate

More than 1000 families who have been living in the flooded Kihoto estate in Naivasha have been ordered to vacate to avoid a looming cholera outbreak.

The government issued a seven day vacate notice to the families, most of whom are landlords,  after another group of more than 2000 families vacated the estate two months ago following rising water levels at Lake Naivasha which have since submerged the estate, a number of flower farms , hotels and other social amenities bordering the lake.

Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya said the government would support the affected families with food and non-food materials the same way the first group was assisted.

The commissioner said the situation was worrying with fear of disease outbreak following water wells contamination from the flooded latrines and toxic wastes from flooded flower farms.

“The situation in Kihoto estate is worrying due to the flooding and the contamination and the affected families must move out fast,” he said.

Natembeya added that more than 500 landlords who had been left behind were the most affected adding that the government would assist them until a lasting solution was found.

He explained that in the first phase, the government used over Sh2m to resettle the affected families adding that the government was committed to ensuring that no one suffers due to natural happenings.

The Regional Commissioner who was on a tour of government projects in Naivasha sub-county said the on-going multi-million outpatient wing at the Naivasha sub-county hospital would be completed in eight months’ time and would serve patients in the county and others from neighbouring counties.

He said that KENGEN Power Company had contributed Sh300m while the county government chipped an extra Sh31m towards the construction of the health facility.

“We are impressed by the ongoing works in the hospital and once complete, the government will provide medical equipment and staff,” he said.

Natembeya at the same time put on notice contractors involved in government projects warning that the government would not entertain delays from lazy contractors.

He said the government would take stern actions against any contractor found delaying completion of government projects with intention of stalling them including putting such persons in jail.

By Esther Mwangi

 

Leave a Reply