About 800 recruits for Kazi Mtaani programme in Nyandarua County have absconded duty and the programme’s County Implementation Committee is seeking authority to replace them.
Speaking during monitoring and evaluation of the Ol Kalau’s Huruma Informal Settlement Cohorts, County Commissioner Benson Leparmorijo regretted the decision by the affected youth to drop out of the programme meant to cushion them against the effects of Covid- 19.
“We will be seeking reasons why they have opted out, but we are working with the number that is reporting as we wait for authority to replace them,” said Leparmorijo noting that 3, 963 youths had been engaged in the programme.
Leparmorijo also noted that 25 out of 200 deployed to clear the Gilgil-Nyahururu railway line did not take up the jobs, noting that the online platforms for clocking in and out did not reflect the true picture on the ground.
County Director for Housing, Mr. David Kingori said that a majority of the youths who were engaged in menial jobs such as unclogging of drainages had been paid and only a handful with mismatched details are yet to receive their dues as the government address the anomalies.
“The workers now have to commute to their places of work and there is a challenge in ferrying them to where their services are needed, considering that a substantial amount of work has been completed within their hometowns,” added Kingori.
The youths have also benefitted from trainings on access to government procurement opportunities, access to affirmative Funds, modern housing technologies and basic entrepreneurship skills as well as group formation.
“A few of us quit due to laziness while others are preparing to join universities and colleges come Monday,” said one of the beneficiaries, Catherine Kemunto noting that the work was not so demanding as to discourage them to report.
Kemunto urged the government to consider extending the period of the programme beyond the six months, noting that many had benefitted from it.
By Anne Sabuni