Over 50 families at Mwatu informal settlement in Elburgon have been rendered homeless after a fire razed down their houses Tuesday evening.
According to the area residents, the fire that consumed property worth millions of shillings is said to have been caused by a child who came home for lunch and after warming the food, the child placed the jiko at a dangerous place making their house catch fire which later spread to other houses.
The Timsale Company, located few metres from the settlement assisted to contain the fierce fire.
The area County Commissioner (CC), Naftali Korir confirmed the incident saying that no casualties have been reported and investigations into the matter have commenced.
He urged area residents to be careful when handling electricity or any equipment likely to cause fire incidents insisting that there is need for parents to train their children on handling such, while younger ones should have adult care takers to monitor them.
The county government came to their rescue and donated drinking water, blankets, assorted food stuffs, iron sheets among other necessities.
This is the fourth fire incident in a span of a month in the area and residents are calling upon the county government to construct a fire station for prompt response.
Nakuru County has only two fire engines where one is situated at Nakuru town and other one in Molo.
By Emily Kadzo