The Kiambu Senior Principal Magistrate (SPM), Ms. Teresa Nyangena has allowed the prosecution to withdraw the case in which prominent lawyer, Assa Nyakundi had been charged with manslaughter following the death of his son in March this year.
The State Counsel, Stella Bosibori told the court the DPP had ordered a review of the file but pleaded that the court retains the earlier fixed mention date of May 10, 2019.
Following the new twist in a case of prominent Nairobi Lawyer Assa Nyakundi who had been charged with manslaughter after he fatally shot his son in March this year, the prosecution has been allowed to withdraw the case.
Nyakundi had, on April 26, 2019 appeared before Ms Nyangena and pleaded not guilty to a charge of manslaughter after he shot his last born son Joseph Bogonko on March 17, 2019 under circumstances that are yet to be determined.
He was released on a Sh.1 million bond or an alternative of Sh.300, 000 cash bail.
Bosibori told the court her request for withdrawal of the case had been occasioned by the file, which had been recalled by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Noordin Haji who is currently reviewing it.
Press reports indicated that the DCI disowned the manslaughter charge and interdicted senior investigating officers suspected to have been involved in an attempted cover-up of the murder case. He has called for a public inquiry into the matter.
By Lydia Shiloya