Thursday, March 4, 2021
Home > Counties > Seven suspected corona cases turn out negative

Seven suspected corona cases turn out negative

A total of seven people suspected of having contracted the Covid-19 disease in Elgeyo Marakwet county have all tested negative.
Health CEC Kiprono Chepkok said so far no case of coronavirus has been reported in the county but added the whole of Kiptulos village in Keiyo South sub county has been placed under a quarantine after an athlete returning from abroad interacted with most of the villagers.
The CEC said he hoped that in the next five days after the quarantine period of 14 days is over they will be fine saying so far none has exhibited any symptoms of coronavirus adding that a further 50 families from different areas in the county have been put in isolation.
He said some of them are foreigners while others are Kenyans coming back home and urged all those coming back to self-quarantine for 14 days before mingling with members of the public.
Chepkok called on salons and barbershops to bear with the situation as they have all been closed forthwith, arguing it is not possible to maintain social distance in these outlets.
Meanwhile the war against the spread of Covid-19 received a major boost after the Rift Valley Water Agency gave 20 tanks of 1,500 liters each to be used for handwashing.
The agency’s communication manager Carlos Cheluget said the tanks were part of 155 tanks which will be distributed to all counties in the North rift targeting urban areas and places where human traffic is high.
He appealed to counties to ensure that the tanks reach the public as soon as possible and to support the initiative by providing water, sanitizers and hand washing detergents saying this was key in curbing the spread of the Covid-19 disease.
The Keiyo North Deputy County Commissioner Julius Maiyo reminded residents that the curfew announced by the President takes effect from Friday 7pm to 5am daily and urged them to cooperate with the government.
Residents have welcomed the move and pledged to comply with the measures with the county bodaboda chairman calling on all operators to heed the directive.
Victor Kibet thanked the government for allowing them to work during the day so that they can get food for their families saying he doesn’t see why members would want to flout the curfew by staying after 7pm.
He said with no children going to school and most offices closed there were no passengers who would force them to wake up early.
The chairman called on all bodabodas to carry only one passenger and ensure they have sanitizers which they provide to their customers.
Elizabeth Chemutai from Iten market also supported the move saying money can never be enough and therefore all should support the government in fighting the scourge which she said does not discriminate adding all are at risk.
By Alice Wanjiru

Leave a Reply