The Eastern Regional Commissioner (RC), Isaiah Nakoru has said all arrangements are in place, ready for the national population census exercise.
Nakoru also reiterated that no bar will be opened in the region during the census night on August 24/ 25.
The RC on Tuesday said the bars will be closed from 6.00 pm and will remain closed for the two days, adding that this will help in capturing census data which is vital for government planning.
“Previously the government has been planning through approximation, however the coming census it will provide factual information on population, hence the government will be able to plan for known population,” he observed.
Nakoru challenged all stakeholders, including public servants and local administrators to be good ambassadors in disseminating information on the need of people taking part in the census.
The RC also urged the leaders to avoid politicizing the whole process, but instead highlight on the need for census.
Last week, the Embu County Commissioner (CC), Abdullahi Galgalo directed that all bars in the county will be closed during the census on August 24/ 25, adding that the move would ensure that no one was left out during the exercise.
“Getting factual information from a drunken person is not easy, hence to avoid embarrassing scenarios bars will be closed on those two days,” Galgalo noted.
He had noted that he had talked with bar owners and the county government and had agreed the nights of 24th and 25th no bar will be operating.
The CC also urged the citizens to ensure they cooperate with the enumerators to ensure the process is successful.
He warned the residents against giving false information which is against the law, and anyone found culpable can slapped with a fine of Sh.100, 000.
The census exercise countrywide will kick off on August 24th is expected to end on August 31.
By Kimani Tirus