Tuesday, November 29, 2022
Home > Business & Finance > Electric power supply is set to stabilize in Nyanza region

Electric power supply is set to stabilize in Nyanza region

The  Kenya Electricity Transmission Company (KETRACO) is set to stabilize power supply in Nyanza and its environs to assist in industrialization that will boost the economy of the residents.

The  KETRACO Board Chairperson, Eng. James  Rege said the move is aimed at ending perennial power outages in the region, adding that Jua-Kali and fisheries sectors will be relieved from losses they have incurred due to power blackout.

Speaking in Homa Bay when he paid a courtesy call to Deputy Governor (DG), Hamilton Orata in his office, Eng. Rege reiterated that the company is committed in ensuring that residents of Kisumu, Homa-Bay and Migori counties will be connected to constant power supply to uplift their socio-economic activities that require power.

He further said that the supplying of electric poles have covered about 65 per cent, adding that the remaining 35 per cent will be completed as soon as possible.

The Chairperson who was accompanied by the KETRACO Chief Executive Officer, Fernandez Baraza also explained that the project has not come to its completion due to standoff between the government and the land owners over the issue of compensation.

He appealed to the community to allow electric poles to pass in their lands, assuring them that the government will compensate all of them.

On his part, Baraza  said that they have completed the work at Ogeng Sub power station in Ndhiwa which has contributed to stabilize power in Homa bay and its environs.

Baraza  added that now they are embarking on Sondu Ndhiwa line which will be completed in the next few months to enable residents have a stable supply of power.

Meanwhile, the DG assured that the government is ready to compensate land owners once they agree on the modalities of payment.

Orata  also called on the KETRACO to fast track on the project to enable the residents enjoy constant supply of power in the region.

By  Dan Oduor

Leave a Reply