Makueni county has erected roadblocks at strategic entry points to facilitate random screening of persons coming into the county in a bid to prevent the spread of corona virus.
County Commissioner Maalim Mohammed said the road blocks established at Mtito Andei and Kibwezi towns along the Mombasa-Nairobi Highway will enable screening of passengers for corona virus symptoms by health workers to curb the disease.
‘‘Passengers will have their temperatures checked at these road blocks to flag any suspected cases of the disease. We urge motorists to comply with the security and health officers manning the road blocks,’’said Maalim.
The county commissioner also noted that the road blocks will also prevent movement of people from the coastal region that was on Monday put on a lockdown by President Uhuru Kenyatta.
‘‘We are aware of people who are circumventing the containment orders using ‘panya’ routes and eventually linking up at the Kibwezi-Kitui road and travelling as far as Mandera,’’he said.
Speaking at the county headquarters in Wote on Wednesday during a press briefing Maalim also noted that wines and spirits outlets in the county will be allowed to operate from 3pm to 6 pm and urged the owners to ensure that the government directives on hygiene and social distancing are followed.
‘‘The joints will only offer take away services, any outlet found flouting the guidelines will have their license revoked for good,’’he said.
The county commissioner further noted that law enforcement officers will facilitate residents who require emergency services during the curfew hours.
Two women allegedly died in Kibwezi and Kilungu sub counties early this week while giving birth at night due to the ongoing curfew.
Maalim also urged police to enforce the curfew in a humane manner.
Speaking at the same briefing Governor Kivutha Kibwana said his government had waived cess for all vehicles bringing in farm produce into the county.
Governor Kibwana also banned idling in towns and markets and said traders will be held liable for idling in their premises.
‘‘We are asking residents to avoid staying in markets or towns if they have nothing to do especially our young people. Let them stay at home,’’ he said.
County Director of Medical Services Dr. Stephen Ndolo said 15 out of 23 people who had been put under quarantine over coronavirus fears have been released after successfully completing the mandatory 14 days with no symptoms.
Dr.Ndolo however said eight others were being observed for the disease.
By Roselyne Kavoo and Patrick Nyakundi